The above tutorial is different from others that I have seen.
First tip: In order for the filters to work, one of the dimensions of the image should be set at 2000. The 300 dpi does not seem to be important.
- Open the image and click on image – size – pixels – and change one dimension to 2000. The other dimension can be larger
- Change Image to Smart Object
- Duplicate the image 3 times
- To Begin, Only Keep lower layer open
Steps for Lower Layer
- Filter Gallery – Poster Edges 0, 0, 2 – This setting removes all the nasty dots.
2. Filter – Unsharp Mask at the Following Setting
3. Filter – Stylize – Oil Paint at the following setting
4. Unsharp Mask Again: Different Setting
5. Name the Bottom Layer: Effects
Open Second Layer & Do the Following
- Filter – Poster Edges – at the Following: 0, 3, 6
2. Stylize – Oil Paint this layer
3. Overlay this Layer at 25% Opacity
4. Name This Layer Outlines
Open the Top Layer & Name It High Pass
- Filter – Other – High Pass at a setting of 2
- Overlay this Layer at 100%
- Image – Adjustments – Levels -Change Levels He changed to .90 and 230
- Image – Adjustments – Vibrance – He changed vibrance to +10 and saturation to +5
- Image – Adjustments – Color Lookup – Load 3d Ut